London; so called by the Romans.
Oft let me wander o'er the dewy fields,
Some eminence, Augusta, in thy plains,
And see the country far diffused around.
Thomson: Spring, 102, 107–9.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Augusta from Infoplease:
- Augusta, city, Italy - Augusta Augusta , city (1991 pop. 34,189), E Sicily, Italy, on an island (formerly a peninsula) in ...
- Augusta, cities, United States - Augusta Augusta . 1. City (1990 pop. 44,639), seat of Richmond co., E Ga.; inc. 1798. At the head ...
- North Augusta: meaning and definitions - North Augusta: Definition and Pronunciation
- Augusta: meaning and definitions - Augusta: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Masters 1999 - Georgia on My Mind A Preview of the 1999 Masters Tournament by Gerry Brown Mark O'Meara and ...