Presented to the University of Oxford in 1682 by Elias Ashmole.
Sometimes called the Tradescant, because it belonged to the Tradescant
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ashmolean Museum from Infoplease:
- Ashmolean Museum - Ashmolean Museum Presented to the University of Oxford in 1682 by Elias Ashmole. Sometimes called ...
- Ashmolean Museum - Ashmolean Museum: Ashmolean Museum: see under Ashmole, Elias.
- Sir John Evans - Evans, Sir John Evans, Sir John, 1823–1908, English archaeologist, geologist, and ...
- Isle of Athelney - Athelney, Isle of Athelney, Isle of , small area formerly surrounded by marshland, Somerset, SW ...
- David George Hogarth - Hogarth, David George Hogarth, David George , 1862–1927, English archaeologist, keeper ...