A famous Grecian painter, contemporary with Alexander the
There comelier forms embroidered rose to view
Than e'er Apelles' wondrous pencil drew.
Aristo: Orlando Furioso, book xxiv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Apelles from Infoplease:
- Apelles: meaning and definitions - Apelles: Definition and Pronunciation
- Apelles - Apelles Apelles , fl. 330 B.C., Greek painter, the most celebrated in antiquity but now known only ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/apelles - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Apelles - Apelles A famous Grecian painter, contemporary with Alexander the Great. There comelier forms ...
- Protogenes - Protogenes Protogenes , fl. c.300 B.C., one of the most celebrated Greek painters of Rhodes and ...