(Al-ki-me) is the Arabic al kimia (the secret art);
so called not only because it was carried on in secret, but because its
main objects were the three great secrets of science—the
transmutation of baser metals into gold, the universal solvent, and the
elixir of life.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alchemy from Infoplease:
- alchemy - alchemy alchemy , ancient art of obscure origin that sought to transform base metals (e.g., lead) ...
- alchemy: meaning and definitions - alchemy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sara Teasedale: Alchemy - i lift my heart as spring lifts up A yellow daisy to the rain; My heart will be a lovely cup Altho' it holds but pain.
- John Donne: Love's Alchemy - Some that have deeper digg'd love's mine than I, Say, where his centric happiness doth lie.
- Alchemy - Alchemy (Al-ki-me) is the Arabic al kimia (the secret art); so called not only because it was ...