An Act of God
“Damnum fatale,” such as loss by lightning,
shipwreck, fire, etc.; loss arising from fatality, and not from one's
own fault, theft, and so on. A Devonshire jury once found a verdict—
“That deceased died by the act of God, brought about by the flooded
condition of the river.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Act of God from Infoplease:
- act of God: meaning and definitions - act of God: Definition and Pronunciation
- act of God - act of God act of God, in law, an accident caused by the operation of extraordinary natural force. ...
- Act of God - An Act of God “Damnum fatale,” such as loss by lightning, shipwreck, fire, etc.; loss ...
- justification: meaning and definitions - justification: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Man Who Sued God - Starring Billy Connolly, Judy Davis, Colin Friels, Wendy Hughes, Bille Brown