The second installment of Cash's late-career renaissance on Rick Rubin's American Recordings label is a strong follow-up to the 1994 disc named after the label itself. While one would hope for more Cash originals, this album contains another solid round of songs about pride, redemption and longing, familiar Cash territory. In Cash's hands, Tom Petty's “Southern Accent” is a perfect marriage of singer and song. Other writers include Beck and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell. The only misstep is a decision to cover the execrable Dean Martin hit “Memories Are Made of This.” No matter how menacing his own songwriting block may get, Cash should not be doing Dean Martin songs.
— John Hassan
More on Johnny Cash from Infoplease:
- cash: meaning and definitions - cash: Definition and Pronunciation
- Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash Age: 71 highly influential and singular country music singer and songwriter who was ...
- Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash country singer Born: 2/26/1932 Birthplace: Kingsland, Arkansas Grammy Award-winning ...
- Johnny Cash - Biography of Johnny Cash, The singer of "Folsom Prison Blues"
- Johnny Cash - Cash, Johnny Cash, Johnny, 1932–2003, American singer and songwriter, b. Kingsland, Ark. Born ...