Top News Stories from 1937
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize: Lord Cecil of Chelwood (UK)More World Statistics...
- Italy withdraws from League of Nations.
- U.S. gunboat Panay sunk by Japanese in Yangtze River.
- Japan invades China, conquers most of coastal area.
- Britain begins 999 emergency telephone number. The United States starts 911 service in New York in 1968.
President: Franklin D Roosevelt
Vice President: John N. Garner
Population: 128,824,829More U.S. Statistics...
- The dirigible "Hindenburg" explodes at Lakehurst, N.J., killing 36 (May 6). Background: The Hindenburg Tragedy
- Amelia Earhart and co-pilot Fred Noonan vanish over the Pacific Ocean on their Round-the-World Flight. Background: Amelia Earhart's Legacy Remembered.
Federal spending: $7.58 billion
Consumer Price Index: $14.4
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
World SeriesNY Yankees d. NY Giants (4-1)
Stanley CupDetroit d. NY Rangers
WimbledonWomen: Dorothy Round d. J. Jedrzejowska (6-2 2-6 7-5)
Men: Don Budge d. G. von Cramm (6-3 6-4 6-2)
Kentucky Derby ChampionWar Admiral
NCAA Football ChampionsPittsburgh (9-0-1)
Entertainment AwardsPulitzer Prizes
Fiction: Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
Drama: You Can't Take It With You, Moss Hart and George S.
Academy Award, Best Picture: The Great Ziegfeld (MGM)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Roger Martin du Gard (France)
Miss America: Bette Cooper (NJ)More Entertainment Awards...
- Edgar Bergen and his puppet Charlie McCarthy make their radio debut on NBC.
- The Glenn Miller Band debuts in New York.
- Walt Disney's first full-length animated feature, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, hits theaters and becomes an instant classic.
- The Golden Gate Bridge is completed.
- Frank Lloyd Wright builds "Fallingwater."
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Walter N. Haworth (UK), for research on carbohydrates and vitamin C; and Paul Karrer (Switzerland), for work on carotenoids, flavins, and vitamins A and B
Physics: Clinton J. Davisson (US) and George P. Thomson (UK), for discovery of diffraction of electrons by crystals
Physiology or Medicine: Albert Szent-Györgyi von Nagyrapolt (Hungary), for discoveries on biological combustionMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.