Top News Stories from 1903.html
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade More World Statistics...
- Panama declares independence from Colombia (Nov. 3).
- King Alexander of Serbia and his wife are assassinated by conspirators (June 10).
President: Theodore Roosevelt
Vice President: none
Population: 80,632,000More U.S. Statistics...
- Henry Ford organizes Ford Motor Company.
- The first transcontinental trip by automobile--San Francisco to New York in 52 days.
Federal spending: $0.52 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesBoston Red Sox d. Pittsburgh (5-3)
Stanley CupOttawa Silver Seven
WimbledonWomen: Niels R. Finsen (Denmark), for his treatment of lupus vulgaris with concentrated light rays (4-6 6-4 6-2) Women: Dorothea Douglass d. E. Thomson (4-6 6-4 6-2)
Men: Laurie Doherty d. F. Riseley (7-5 6-3 6-0)
Kentucky Derby ChampionJudge Himes
NCAA Football ChampionsPrinceton (11-0-0)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Björnstjerne Björnson (Norway)More Entertainment Awards...
- Edison Corporation mechanic Edwin S. Porter makes The Great Train Robbery. With 14 shots cutting between simultaneous events, this 12-minute short establishes the shot as film's basic element and editing as a central narrative device. It is also the first Western. Movie Timeline
Nobel Prizes in Science
Physics: A. Henri Becquerel (France), for work on spontaneous radioactivity; and Pierre and Marie Curie (France), for study of radiationMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
- The Wright brothers make aviation history with their first flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.