Cite
 

Tourism by World Region

In 2013, international tourist arrivals (overnight visitors) grew by 5% in 2013, reaching a record 1087 million arrivals worldwide, up from 1035 million in 2012, when the 1 billion mark was exceeded for the first time ever.

Slightly over half of all travellers arrived at their destination by air (53%) in 2013, while the remainder travelled by surface transport (47%) - whether by road (40%), rail (2%) or over water (5%).

Region 2013
market
share
Europe 51.8%
Northern Europe 6.3
Western Europe 16.0
Central/Eastern Europe 10.9
Southern/Mediterranean
Europe
18.5
Asia and the Pacific 22.8
Northeast Asia 11.7%
Southeast Asia 8.6
Oceania 1.1
South Asia 1.4
Americas 15.5
North America 10.1
Caribbean 2.0
Central America 0.8%
South America 2.5
Africa 5.1
North Africa 1.8
Subsaharan Africa 3.3
Middle East 4.7

Travel Statistics