June 2005 Disasters
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- June, Southern China: widespread flooding for the month of June, particularly in southern China, killed 536 people. In addition the floods damaged dikes, reservoirs, roads, rail lines, and millions of acres of crops.
- June 8–13, Pensacola, Fl.: the first tropical storm of the Atlantic hurricane season,“Arlene”, made landfall in Pensacola June 8th, dropping heavy rainfall on the lower Mississippi valley.
- June 12, Northwest China: a flash flood, triggered by torrential rains, swept through an elementary school in Ning'an, in northeast Heilongjiang province, killing at least 117 of which 105 were children.
- June 13, Chile: a 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit Chile and Peru about 940 miles north of Santiago, killing 11.
- June 18–19, Calgary, Alberta, Canada: flooding of the Elbow and Bow rivers, from a week of rain, impacted hundreds of homes, forcing the evacuation of more than 1,500.
- June 19, N.D: strong thunderstorms and 100 mph winds battered North Dakota.
See also Recent Volcanic Activity
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.