United kingdom | The Duchess of Cambridge Gives Birth to a Baby Boy—and Later a Girl
- United Kingdom Main Page
- The Magna Carta Is Signed and a House of Commons Is Born
- The Church of England Is Established and Parliament Reigns Supreme
- England's Empire Grows While the American Colonies Revolt
- Democratic Government Emerges
- Britain Enters WWII
- Britain Enters European Community and Margaret Thatcher Becomes First Female Prime Minister
- Tony Blair and the Labor Party End Conservative Rule
- Britain Supports Post-Sept. 11 America, Enters the Iraq War
- Terror Strikes at Home
- Gordon Brown Succeeds Blair
- A Historic Changing of the Guard
- Royal Wedding Precedes Media Scandal
- London Sets New Olympic Record
- Same-Sex Marriage Bill Passes and Receives Royal Approval
- The Duchess of Cambridge Gives Birth to a Baby Boy—and Later a Girl
- Parliament Rejects Cameron's Plan to Strike Syria
- Cameron Wins a Second Term in a Resounding Victory
The Duchess of Cambridge Gives Birth to a Baby Boy—and Later a Girl
Source: Luke MacGregor/Pool Reuters/Associated Press
On July 22, 2013, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, gave birth to a baby boy named George Alexander Louis. The baby was born at 4:24 p.m. and weighed 8 pounds 6 ounces. Catherine gave birth in the private Lindo Wing of St. Mary's Hospital in London, the same place where Prince William was born.
The baby's name was announced two days after his birth. George Alexander Louis would also have the title His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge and would be third in line to the throne, following Prince Charles and Prince William. Due to a rule change in 2011 that ended the long-standing tradition that the crown was only bestowed on a daughter when there were no sons, Prince William and Catherine's baby would have been third in line to the throne no matter the gender, because the baby was their first born.
Prince William and Catherine weren't the only happy couple to receive baby gifts. Any baby born in Britain on July 22, 2013, would receive a silver penny from the Royal Mint.
Catherine gave birth to her second child, a girl Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, on May 2, 2015. She weighed 8lbs 3oz.