South africa | Mandela Dies
- South Africa Main Page
- South Africa's Independence is Tarnished by Apartheid
- Apartheid is Abolished; Mandela Becomes President
- Mbeki Takes Over From Mandela
- Motlanthe Serves as "Interim" President; Opposition to the ANC Grows
- Zuma Assumes the Presidency
- Mandela Dies
- ANC Prevails in 2014 Elections; Army Called in to Quell Anti-Immigrant Violence
Olympic runner and national hero Oscar Pistorius was arrested in February 2013 and charged with the shooting death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. She was found dead in his apartment. Pistorius denied he killed her and was released on bail. His trial began in April 2014. He testified that he shot Steenkamp by mistake, believing she was an intruder in the bathroom. He was found guilty of of culpable homicide, which is similar to manslaughter, in September 2014 and sentenced to five years in jail.
On Dec. 5, 2013, Nelson Mandela died at age 95. He had been in ill health for several months after battling a lung infection. South Africans and people all over the world mourned his death but at the same time celebrated his remarkable life.