Top Ten Essay ClichÃ©s
According to the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, a clichÃ© is "a trite phrase or expression," "a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation," or "something that has become overly familiar or commonplace." The last thing you want in your essay is any of the above. ClichÃ©s make your writing appear lazy, your ideas ordinary, and your experiences typical. Arm yourself with the list below and eradicate these and other clichÃ©s from your writing.
1. I always learn from my mistakes.
2. I know my dreams will come true.
3. I can make a difference.
4. _________ is my passion.
5. I no longer take my loved ones for granted.
6. These lessons are useful both on and off the field (or other sporting arena).
7. I realized the value of hard work and perseverance.
8. _________ was the greatest lesson of all.
9. I know what it is to triumph over adversity.
10. _________ opened my eyes to a whole new world.
Continue to: Lesson Five: Introductions and Conclusions