Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. José Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Octavia Spencer
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role for The Help, 2011
- Octavia Spencer won for portrayal of Minny Jackson in 2011's The Help, the third film to have African-American actresses nominated in both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories. Spencer also won the Golden Globe, BAFTA, SAG, and Critics' Choice awards for the role.
- Photo source: AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.