Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. José Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Best Actress in a Support Role for Precious, 2009
- Stand-up comedian Mo'Nique received critical acclaim and an Oscar for taking on the serious role of Mary Lee Johnston, the abusive mother in Precious. The film was the second to have African-American nominees in both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories. 1985's The Color Purple was the first.
- Photo source: AP Photo/Matt Sayles
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.