Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. José Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Whoopi Goldberg
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Ghost, 1990
- Whoopi Goldberg became the second African-American actress to win the Best Supporting Oscar, the first since McDaniel in 1939. She also became the first African-American actress to receive two acting nominations overall. She had been previously nominated for Best Lead Actress for The Color Purple in 1985.
- Photo source: AP Photo/ Bob Galbraith
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.