Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. JosÃ© Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Sacheen Littlefeather for Marlon Brando
- Best Actor in a Leading Role for The Godfather, 1972
- At the 1973 Academy Awards, Marlon Brando refused his Best Actor Oscar for The Godfather. Dressed in Apache attire, Sacheen Littlefeather stood in for him at the ceremony and announced that due to the "poor treatment of the Native Americans in the film industry," Brando would not be accepting the award. Littlefeather's announcement came during the standoff at Wounded Knee and received international media attention.
- Photo source: AP Photo
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.