Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories: Lupita Nyong'o
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. JosÃ© Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Lupita Nyong'o
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role for 12 Years a Slave, 2013
- Lupita Nyong'o became the first Kenyan actress and the first Mexican actress to win an Academy Award. When she took home the Oscar at the 2014 ceremony, she also became the first black African to win in any category. Born in Mexico, Nyong'o was raised in Kenya and has dual citizenship. In 2015, she starred in Star Wars: The Force Awakens as Maz Kanata in a CGI/Motion-Capture performance.
- Photo source: John Shearer/Invision/AP, File
- Did you know?
- For more than a billion Muslims around the world, Ramadan is a "month of blessing" marked by prayer, fasting, and charity.