- 1. Yankee, Yank, Northerner, American
- usage: an American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War)
- 2. New Englander, Yankee, American
- usage: an American who lives in New England
- 3. Yankee, Yank, Yankee-Doodle, American
- usage: an American (especially to non-Americans)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Yankee, northern (vs. southern)
- usage: used by Southerners for an inhabitant of a northern state in the United States (especially a Union soldier)
All rights reserved.
See also: yankee (Dictionary)