- 1. whirl, commotion, movement, motion
- usage: confused movement; "he was caught up in a whirl of work"; "a commotion of people fought for the exits"
- 2. whirl, swirl, vortex, convolution, round shape
- usage: the shape of something rotating rapidly
- 3. crack, fling, go, pass, whirl, offer, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
- usage: a usually brief attempt; "he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
- 4. spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirl, rotation, rotary motion
- usage: the act of rotating rapidly; "he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. twirl, swirl, twiddle, whirl, revolve, go around, rotate
- usage: turn in a twisting or spinning motion; "The leaves swirled in the autumn wind"
- 2. whirl, birl, spin, twirl, rotate, circumvolve
- usage: cause to spin; "spin a coin"
- 3. eddy, purl, whirlpool, swirl, whirl, run, flow, feed, course
- usage: flow in a circular current, of liquids
- 4. spin, spin around, whirl, reel, gyrate, revolve, go around, rotate
- usage: revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
- 5. whirl, tumble, whirl around, move
- usage: fly around; "The clothes tumbled in the dryer"; "rising smoke whirled in the air"
All rights reserved.
See also: whirl (Dictionary)