WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. vanguard, van, army unit
- usage: the leading units moving at the head of an army
- 2. avant-garde, vanguard, van, new wave, artistic movement, art movement
- usage: any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts)
- 3. vanguard, forefront, cutting edge, position, view, perspective
- usage: the position of greatest importance or advancement; the leading position in any movement or field; "the Cotswolds were once at the forefront of woollen manufacturing in England"; "the idea of motion was always to the forefront of his mind and central to his philosophy"
All rights reserved.
See also: vanguard (Dictionary)