- 1. utility, public utility, public utility company, public-service corporation, service
- usage: a company that performs a public service; subject to government regulation
- 2. utility, usefulness, quality
- usage: the quality of being of practical use
- 3. utility, service
- usage: the service (electric power or water or transportation) provided by a public utility; "the cost of utilities never decreases"; "all the utilities were lost after the hurricane"
- 4. utility, system of measurement, metric
- usage: (economics) a measure that is to be maximized in any situation involving choice
- 5. utility program, utility, service program, program, programme, computer program, computer programme
- usage: (computer science) a program designed for general support of the processes of a computer; "a computer system provides utility programs to perform the tasks needed by most users"
- 6. utility, facility, installation
- usage: a facility composed of one or more pieces of equipment connected to or part of a structure and designed to provide a service such as heat or electricity or water or sewage disposal; "the price of the house included all utilities"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. utility(prenominal), utility-grade, inferior (vs. superior)
- usage: used of beef; usable but inferior
- 2. utility(prenominal), substitute(prenominal), secondary (vs. primary)
- usage: capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team; "a utility infielder"
All rights reserved.
See also: utility (Dictionary)