Synonyms of universal
- 1. universal, linguistic universal, rule, linguistic rule
- usage: (linguistics) a grammatical rule (or other linguistic feature) that is found in all languages
- 2. universal, universal proposition, proposition
- usage: (logic) a proposition that asserts something of all members of a class
- 3. universal, convention, normal, pattern, rule, formula
- usage: a behavioral convention or pattern characteristic of all members of a particular culture or of all human beings; "some form of religion seems to be a human universal"
- 4. universal joint, universal, coupling, coupler
- usage: coupling that connects two rotating shafts allowing freedom of movement in all directions; "in motor vehicles a universal joint allows the driveshaft to move up and down as the vehicle passes over bumps"
- 1. cosmopolitan, ecumenical, oecumenical, general, universal, worldwide, world-wide, comprehensive (vs. noncomprehensive)
- usage: of worldwide scope or applicability; "an issue of cosmopolitan import"; "the shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time"- Christopher Morley; "universal experience"
- 2. universal, general (vs. specific)
- usage: applicable to or common to all members of a group or set; "the play opened to universal acclaim"; "rap enjoys universal appeal among teenage boys"
- 3. universal, adaptable (vs. unadaptable)
- usage: adapted to various purposes, sizes, forms, operations; "universal wrench", "universal chuck"; "universal screwdriver"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of universal (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.