Synonyms of understanding
- 1. understanding, apprehension, discernment, savvy, knowing
- usage: the cognitive condition of someone who understands; "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
- 2. agreement, understanding, statement
- usage: the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises; "they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other's business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
- 3. sympathy, understanding, inclination, disposition, tendency
- usage: an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his understanding"
- 4. reason, understanding, intellect, faculty, mental faculty, module
- usage: the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- 1. understand
- usage: know and comprehend the nature or meaning of; "She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
- 2. understand, realize, realise, see
- usage: perceive (an idea or situation) mentally; "Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
- 3. understand, read, interpret, translate, understand
- usage: make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
- 4. understand, infer, believe
- usage: believe to be the case; "I understand you have no previous experience?"
- 5. sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise, understand
- usage: be understanding of; "You don't need to explain--I understand!"
- 1. understanding, perceptive (vs. unperceptive)
- usage: characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy; "an understanding friend"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of understanding (Dictionary)