- 1. umpire, ump, official
- usage: an official at a baseball game
- 2. arbiter, arbitrator, umpire, evaluator, judge
- usage: someone chosen to judge and decide a disputed issue; "the critic was considered to be an arbiter of modern literature"; "the arbitrator's authority derived from the consent of the disputants"; "an umpire was appointed to settle the tax case"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. referee, umpire, judge
- usage: be a referee or umpire in a sports competition
All rights reserved.
See also: umpire (Dictionary)