- 1. ultramontane, Roman Catholic
- usage: a Roman Catholic who advocates ultramontanism (supreme papal authority in matters of faith and discipline)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ultramontane
- usage: of or relating to ultramontanism
- 2. transalpine, ultramontane, tramontane (vs. cismontane), transmontane
- usage: on or relating to or characteristic of the region or peoples beyond the Alps from Italy (or north of the Alps); "ancient transalpine Gaul was an area northwest of the Alps and included modern France and Belgium"; "Cracow was a transalpine university"
- 3. cisalpine, ultramontane, cismontane (vs. tramontane)
- usage: on the Italian or Roman side of the Alps; "ancient cisalpine Gaul included an area south and east of the Alps"
All rights reserved.
See also: ultramontane (Dictionary)