WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. ugly (vs. beautiful), disfigured, evil-looking, fugly, grotesque, monstrous, hideous, repulsive, ill-favored, ill-favoured, scrofulous, unlovely, unpicturesque, unsightly, displeasing, unattractive, awkward
- usage: displeasing to the senses; "an ugly face"; "ugly furniture"
- 2. surly, ugly, ill-natured (vs. good-natured)
- usage: inclined to anger or bad feelings with overtones of menace; "a surly waiter"; "an ugly frame of mind"
- 3. despicable, ugly, vile, slimy, unworthy, worthless, wretched, evil (vs. good)
- usage: morally reprehensible; "would do something as despicable as murder"; "ugly crimes"; "the vile development of slavery appalled them"; "a slimy little liar"
- 4. atrocious, frightful, horrifying, horrible, ugly, alarming (vs. unalarming)
- usage: provoking horror; "an atrocious automobile accident"; "a frightful crime of decapitation"; "an alarming, even horrifying, picture"; "war is beyond all words horrible"- Winston Churchill; "an ugly wound"
All rights reserved.
See also: ugly (Dictionary)