- 1. type, kind, sort, form, variety
- usage: a subdivision of a particular kind of thing; "what type of sculpture do you prefer?"
- 2. character, eccentric, type, case, adult, grownup
- usage: a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities); "a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case"
- 3. type, taxonomic group, taxonomic category, taxon
- usage: (biology) the taxonomic group whose characteristics are used to define the next higher taxon
- 4. type, character, grapheme, graphic symbol
- usage: printed characters; "small type is hard to read"
- 5. type, symbol
- usage: all of the tokens of the same symbol; "the word `element' contains five different types of character"
- 6. type, block
- usage: a small metal block bearing a raised character on one end; produces a printed character when inked and pressed on paper; "he dropped a case of type, so they made him pick them up"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. type, typewrite, write
- usage: write by means of a keyboard with types; "type the acceptance letter, please"
- 2. type, typecast, identify
- usage: identify as belonging to a certain type; "Such people can practically be typed"
All rights reserved.
See also: type (Dictionary)