- 1. theodolite, transit, surveying instrument, surveyor's instrument
- usage: a surveying instrument for measuring horizontal and vertical angles, consisting of a small telescope mounted on a tripod
- 2. transportation system, transportation, transit, facility, installation
- usage: a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
- 3. passage, transit, journey, journeying
- usage: a journey usually by ship; "the outward passage took 10 days"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. transit, pass through, move through, pass across, pass over, pass, go through, go across
- usage: make a passage or journey from one place to another; "The tourists moved through the town and bought up all the souvenirs;" "Some travelers pass through the desert"
- 2. transit, pass, go through, go across
- usage: pass across (a sign or house of the zodiac) or pass across (the disk of a celestial body or the meridian of a place); "The comet will transit on September 11"
- 3. transit, roll, revolve
- usage: revolve (the telescope of a surveying transit) about its horizontal transverse axis in order to reverse its direction
- 4. transit, bring, convey, take
- usage: cause or enable to pass through; "The canal will transit hundreds of ships every day"
All rights reserved.
See also: transit (Dictionary)