Synonyms of torture
- 1. anguish, torment, torture, distress, hurt, suffering
- usage: extreme mental distress
- 2. torture, torment, pain, hurting
- usage: unbearable physical pain
- 3. agony, torment, torture, suffering, hurt
- usage: intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
- 4. distortion, overrefinement, straining, torture, twisting, falsification, misrepresentation
- usage: the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
- 5. torture, torturing, persecution
- usage: the deliberate, systematic, or wanton infliction of physical or mental suffering by one or more persons in an attempt to force another person to yield information or to make a confession or for any other reason; "it required unnatural torturing to extract a confession"
- 1. torment, torture, excruciate, rack, pain, anguish, hurt
- usage: torment emotionally or mentally
- 2. torture, excruciate, torment, injure, wound
- usage: subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of torture (Dictionary)