Synonyms of tortuous
- 1. Byzantine, convoluted, involved, knotty, tangled, tortuous, complex (vs. simple)
- usage: highly complex or intricate and occasionally devious; "the Byzantine tax structure"; "Byzantine methods for holding on to his chairmanship"; "convoluted legal language"; "convoluted reasoning"; "the plot was too involved"; "a knotty problem"; "got his way by labyrinthine maneuvering"; "Oh, what a tangled web we weave"- Sir Walter Scott; "tortuous legal procedures"; "tortuous negotiations lasting for months"
- 2. tortuous, twisting, twisty, winding, voluminous, crooked (vs. straight)
- usage: marked by repeated turns and bends; "a tortuous road up the mountain"; "winding roads are full of surprises"; "had to steer the car down a twisty track"
- 3. tortuous, indirect (vs. direct)
- usage: not straightforward; "his tortuous reasoning"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of tortuous (Dictionary)