- 1. torture, torment, pain, hurting
- usage: unbearable physical pain
- 2. anguish, torment, torture, distress, hurt, suffering
- usage: extreme mental distress
- 3. agony, torment, torture, suffering, hurt
- usage: intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
- 4. harassment, torment, annoyance, chafe, vexation
- usage: a feeling of intense annoyance caused by being tormented; "so great was his harassment that he wanted to destroy his tormentors"
- 5. curse, torment, affliction
- usage: a severe affliction
- 6. badgering, worrying, torment, bedevilment, harassment, molestation
- usage: the act of harassing someone
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. torment, torture, excruciate, rack, pain, anguish, hurt
- usage: torment emotionally or mentally
- 2. torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate, harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
- usage: treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
- 3. torture, excruciate, torment, injure, wound
- usage: subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
All rights reserved.
See also: torment (Dictionary)