WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. system, instrumentality, instrumentation
- usage: instrumentality that combines interrelated interacting artifacts designed to work as a coherent entity; "he bought a new stereo system"; "the system consists of a motor and a small computer"
- 2. system, scheme, group, grouping
- usage: a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole; "a vast system of production and distribution and consumption keep the country going"
- 3. system, matter
- usage: (physical chemistry) a sample of matter in which substances in different phases are in equilibrium; "in a static system oil cannot be replaced by water on a surface"; "a system generating hydrogen peroxide"
- 4. system, system of rules, method
- usage: a complex of methods or rules governing behavior; "they have to operate under a system they oppose"; "that language has a complex system for indicating gender"
- 5. arrangement, organization, organisation, system, structure
- usage: an organized structure for arranging or classifying; "he changed the arrangement of the topics"; "the facts were familiar but it was in the organization of them that he was original"; "he tried to understand their system of classification"
- 6. system, body part
- usage: a group of physiologically or anatomically related organs or parts; "the body has a system of organs for digestion"
- 7. system, plan of action
- usage: a procedure or process for obtaining an objective; "they had to devise a system that did not depend on cooperation"
- 8. system, live body
- usage: the living body considered as made up of interdependent components forming a unified whole; "exercise helped him get the alcohol out of his system"
- 9. organization, organisation, system, orderliness, methodicalness
- usage: an ordered manner; orderliness by virtue of being methodical and well organized; "his compulsive organization was not an endearing quality"; "we can't do it unless we establish some system around here"
All rights reserved.
See also: system (Dictionary)