- 1. synthetic, synthetic substance, compound, chemical compound
- usage: a compound made artificially by chemical reactions
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. man-made, semisynthetic, synthetic, artificial (vs. natural), unreal
- usage: not of natural origin; prepared or made artificially; "man-made fibers"; "synthetic leather"
- 2. synthetic (vs. analytic), synthetical
- usage: involving or of the nature of synthesis (combining separate elements to form a coherent whole) as opposed to analysis; "limnology is essentially a synthetic science composed of elements...that extend well beyond the limits of biology"- P.S.Welch
- 3. synthetic (vs. analytic), agglutinative, polysynthetic
- usage: systematic combining of root and modifying elements into single words
- 4. synthetic (vs. analytic), synthetical, a posteriori, inductive, logical
- usage: of a proposition whose truth value is determined by observation or facts; "`all men are arrogant' is a synthetic proposition"
- 5. celluloid, synthetic, artificial (vs. natural), unreal
- usage: artificial as if portrayed in a film; "a novel with flat celluloid characters"
- 6. synthetic, counterfeit (vs. genuine), imitative
- usage: not genuine or natural; "counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic"- George Will
All rights reserved.
See also: synthetic (Dictionary)