Synonyms of switch
- 1. switch, electric switch, electrical switch, control, controller
- usage: control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit
- 2. substitution, permutation, transposition, replacement, switch, variation, fluctuation
- usage: an event in which one thing is substituted for another; "the replacement of lost blood by a transfusion of donor blood"
- 3. switch, hairpiece, false hair, postiche
- usage: hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure
- 4. switch, railroad track, railroad, railway
- usage: railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock
- 5. switch, instrument of punishment
- usage: a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
- 6. switch, basketball play
- usage: a basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other
- 7. switch, switching, shift, change
- usage: the act of changing one thing or position for another; "his switch on abortion cost him the election"
- 1. switch over, switch, exchange, change by reversal, turn, reverse
- usage: change over, change around, as to a new order or sequence
- 2. trade, swap, swop, switch, exchange, change, interchange
- usage: exchange or give (something) in exchange for
- 3. switch, shift, change
- usage: lay aside, abandon, or leave for another; "switch to a different brand of beer"; "She switched psychiatrists"; "The car changed lanes"
- 4. switch, change over, shift, change, alter, modify
- usage: make a shift in or exchange of; "First Joe led; then we switched"
- 5. throw, flip, switch, engage, mesh, lock, operate
- usage: cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation; "switch on the light"; "throw the lever"
- 6. switch, flog, welt, whip, lather, lash, slash, strap, trounce
- usage: flog with or as if with a flexible rod
- 7. interchange, tack, switch, alternate, flip, flip-flop, change by reversal, turn, reverse
- usage: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of switch (Dictionary)