- 1. swelling, puffiness, lump, enlargement, symptom
- usage: an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement
- 2. bulge, bump, hump, swelling, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence, projection
- usage: something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"
- 3. intumescence, intumescency, swelling, chemical process, chemical change, chemical action
- usage: the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. swell, increase
- usage: increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- 2. swell, puff up, act, behave, do
- usage: become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
- 3. swell, swell up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce, expand
- usage: expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
- 4. well up, swell, originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow
- usage: come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things); "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
- 5. well, swell, surface, come up, rise up, rise
- usage: come up, as of a liquid; "Tears well in her eyes"; "the currents well up"
- 6. swell, grow
- usage: cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
All rights reserved.
See also: swelling (Dictionary)