Synonyms of swelled
- 1. swell, increase
- usage: increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- 2. swell, puff up, act, behave, do
- usage: become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
- 3. swell, swell up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce, expand
- usage: expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
- 4. well up, swell, originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow
- usage: come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things); "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
- 5. well, swell, surface, come up, rise up, rise
- usage: come up, as of a liquid; "Tears well in her eyes"; "the currents well up"
- 6. swell, grow
- usage: cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. big, swelled, vainglorious, proud (vs. humble)
- usage: feeling self-importance; "too big for his britches"; "had a swelled head"; "he was swelled with pride"
All rights reserved.