1. survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
usage: continue to live through hardship or adversity; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
2. survive, pull through, pull round, come through, make it, get the better of, overcome, defeat
usage: continue in existence after (an adversity, etc.); "He survived the cancer against all odds"
3. exist, survive, live, subsist
usage: support oneself; "he could barely exist on such a low wage"; "Can you live on $2000 a month in New York City?"; "Many people in the world have to subsist on $1 a day"
4. outlive, outlast, survive
usage: live longer than; "She outlived her husband by many years"
1. surviving, living, extant (vs. extinct)
usage: still in existence; "the Wollemi pine found in Australia is a surviving specimen of a conifer thought to have been long extinct and therefore known as a living fossil"; "the only surviving frontier blockhouse in Pennsylvania"