WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. excel, stand out, surpass
- usage: distinguish oneself; "She excelled in math"
- 2. surpass, outstrip, outmatch, outgo, exceed, outdo, surmount, outperform, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: be or do something to a greater degree; "her performance surpasses that of any other student I know"; "She outdoes all other athletes"; "This exceeds all my expectations"; "This car outperforms all others in its class"
- 3. travel by, pass by, surpass, go past, go by, pass, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move past; "A black limousine passed by when she looked out the window"; "He passed his professor in the hall"; "One line of soldiers surpassed the other"
- 4. exceed, transcend, surpass
- usage: be greater in scope or size than some standard; "Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds"
All rights reserved.
See also: surpass (Dictionary)