WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sunfish, freshwater fish
- usage: the lean flesh of any of numerous American perch-like fishes of the family Centrarchidae
- 2. ocean sunfish, sunfish, mola, headfish, plectognath, plectognath fish
- usage: among the largest bony fish; pelagic fish having an oval compressed body with high dorsal and anal fins and caudal fin reduced to a rudder-like lobe; worldwide in warm waters
- 3. sunfish, centrarchid, percoid fish, percoid, percoidean
- usage: small carnivorous freshwater percoid fishes of North America usually having a laterally compressed body and metallic luster: crappies; black bass; bluegills; pumpkinseed
All rights reserved.
See also: sunfish (Dictionary)