WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. substrate, substratum, surface
- usage: a surface on which an organism grows or is attached; "the gardener talked about the proper substrate for acid-loving plants"
- 2. substrate, substratum, stratum
- usage: any stratum or layer lying underneath another
- 3. substrate, substratum, indigenous language
- usage: an indigenous language that contributes features to the language of an invading people who impose their language on the indigenous population; "the Celtic languages of Britain are a substrate for English"
All rights reserved.
See also: substratum (Dictionary)