Synonyms of subdue
- 1. repress, quash, keep down, subdue, subjugate, reduce, oppress, suppress, crush
- usage: put down by force or intimidation; "The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"; "China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"; "The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land"
- 2. suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- 3. mortify, subdue, crucify, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: hold within limits and control; "subdue one's appetites"; "mortify the flesh"
- 4. overcome, get over, subdue, surmount, master, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: get on top of; deal with successfully; "He overcame his shyness"
- 5. subordinate, subdue, lower, lour
- usage: make subordinate, dependent, or subservient; "Our wishes have to be subordinated to that of our ruler"
- 6. tame, chasten, subdue, change, alter, modify
- usage: correct by punishment or discipline
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of subdue (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.