- 1. lodge, wedge, stick, deposit, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: put, fix, force, or implant; "lodge a bullet in the table"; "stick your thumb in the crack"
- 2. stay, stick, stick around, stay put, stay in place
- usage: stay put (in a certain place); "We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"; "Stay put in the corner here!"; "Stick around and you will learn something!"
- 3. adhere, hold fast, bond, bind, stick, stick to, attach
- usage: stick to firmly; "Will this wallpaper adhere to the wall?"
- 4. stick, be
- usage: be or become fixed; "The door sticks--we will have to plane it"
- 5. stick, persist, remain, stay
- usage: endure; "The label stuck to her for the rest of her life"
- 6. adhere, stick, adopt, follow, espouse
- usage: be a devoted follower or supporter; "The residents of this village adhered to Catholicism"; "She sticks to her principles"
- 7. stand by, stick by, stick, adhere, be
- usage: be loyal to; "She stood by her husband in times of trouble"; "The friends stuck together through the war"
- 8. stick, decorate, adorn, grace, ornament, embellish, beautify
- usage: cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface; "stick some feathers in the turkey before you serve it"
- 9. stick, fasten
- usage: fasten with an adhesive material like glue; "stick the poster onto the wall"
- 10. stick, fasten
- usage: fasten with or as with pins or nails; "stick the photo onto the corkboard"
- 11. stick, fasten
- usage: fasten into place by fixing an end or point into something; "stick the corner of the sheet under the mattress"
- 12. stick, pierce, thrust
- usage: pierce with a thrust using a pointed instrument; "he stuck the cloth with the needle"
- 13. stick, pierce, thrust
- usage: pierce or penetrate or puncture with something pointed; "He stuck the needle into his finger"
- 14. cling, cleave, adhere, stick, cohere, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together and resist separation; "The dress clings to her body"; "The label stuck to the box"; "The sushi rice grains cohere"
- 15. stick, sting, force, thrust
- usage: saddle with something disagreeable or disadvantageous; "They stuck me with the dinner bill"; "I was stung with a huge tax bill"
- 16. perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound, confuse, throw, fox, befuddle, fuddle, bedevil, confound, discombobulate
- usage: be a mystery or bewildering to; "This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. stuck (vs. unstuck), cragfast
- usage: caught or fixed; "stuck in the mud"
- 2. stuck, perplexed (vs. unperplexed)
- usage: baffled; "this problem has me completely stuck"
All rights reserved.
See also: stuck (Dictionary)