- 1. struggle, battle, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
- usage: an energetic attempt to achieve something; "getting through the crowd was a real struggle"; "he fought a battle for recognition"
- 2. conflict, struggle, battle, group action
- usage: an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals); "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine; "police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs"
- 3. struggle, effort, elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat
- usage: strenuous effort; "the struggle to get through the crowd exhausted her"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. fight, struggle, try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
- usage: make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
- 2. struggle, endeavor, endeavour, strive
- usage: to exert strenuous effort against opposition; "he struggled to get free from the rope"
- 3. clamber, scramble, shin, shinny, skin, struggle, sputter, climb
- usage: climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
- 4. contend, fight, struggle
- usage: be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"
All rights reserved.
See also: struggle (Dictionary)