WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. street, thoroughfare
- usage: a thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks) that is lined with buildings; "they walked the streets of the small town"; "he lives on Nassau Street"
- 2. street, thoroughfare
- usage: the part of a thoroughfare between the sidewalks; the part of the thoroughfare on which vehicles travel; "be careful crossing the street"
- 3. street, environment
- usage: the streets of a city viewed as a depressed environment in which there is poverty and crime and prostitution and dereliction; "she tried to keep her children off the street"
- 4. street, opportunity, chance
- usage: a situation offering opportunities; "he worked both sides of the street"; "cooperation is a two-way street"
- 5. street, neighborhood, neighbourhood
- usage: people living or working on the same street; "the whole street protested the absence of street lights"
All rights reserved.
See also: street (Dictionary)