Synonyms of strangle
- 1. strangle, strangulate, throttle, kill
- usage: kill by squeezing the throat of so as to cut off the air; "he tried to strangle his opponent"; "A man in Boston has been strangling several dozen prostitutes"
- 2. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 3. strangle, suffocate, stifle, asphyxiate
- usage: die from strangulation
- 4. hamper, halter, cramp, strangle, restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle
- usage: prevent the progress or free movement of; "He was hampered in his efforts by the bad weather"; "the imperialist nation wanted to strangle the free trade between the two small countries"
- 5. choke, strangle, compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, contract, press
- usage: constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- 6. gag, choke, strangle, suffocate, suffer, hurt
- usage: struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of strangle (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.