WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage, inaction, inactivity, inactiveness
- usage: the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- 2. blockage, block, closure, occlusion, stop, stoppage, obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta
- usage: an obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
- 3. stop, stoppage, act, deed, human action, human activity
- usage: the act of stopping something; "the third baseman made some remarkable stops"; "his stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
All rights reserved.
See also: stoppage (Dictionary)