- 1. stern, after part, quarter, poop, tail, rear, back
- usage: the rear part of a ship
- 2. Stern, Isaac Stern
- usage: United States concert violinist (born in Russia in 1920)
- 3. buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass, body part
- usage: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. austere, stern, nonindulgent (vs. indulgent), strict
- usage: of a stern or strict bearing or demeanor; forbidding in aspect; "an austere expression"; "a stern face"
- 2. grim, inexorable, relentless, stern, unappeasable, unforgiving, unrelenting, implacable (vs. placable)
- usage: not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty; "grim determination"; "grim necessity"; "Russia's final hour, it seemed, approached with inexorable certainty"; "relentless persecution"; "the stern demands of parenthood"
- 3. stern, strict, exacting, demanding (vs. undemanding)
- usage: severe and unremitting in making demands; "an exacting instructor"; "a stern disciplinarian"; "strict standards"
- 4. austere, severe, stark, stern, plain (vs. fancy)
- usage: severely simple; "a stark interior"
All rights reserved.
See also: stern (Dictionary)