- 1. startle, galvanize, galvanise, shock, floor, ball over, blow out of the water, take aback
- usage: to stimulate to action ; "..startled him awake"; "galvanized into action"
- 2. startle, jump, start, move
- usage: move or jump suddenly, as if in surprise or alarm; "She startled when I walked into the room"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. startling, surprising (vs. unsurprising)
- usage: so remarkably different or sudden as to cause momentary shock or alarm; "Sydney's startling new Opera House"; "startling news"; "startling earthquake shocks"
All rights reserved.
See also: startling (Dictionary)