- 1. basic, staple, commodity, trade good, good
- usage: (usually plural) a necessary commodity for which demand is constant
- 2. staple, staple fiber, staple fibre, natural fiber, natural fibre
- usage: a natural fiber (raw cotton, wool, hemp, flax) that can be twisted to form yarn; "staple fibers vary widely in length"
- 3. raw material, staple, material, stuff
- usage: material suitable for manufacture or use or finishing
- 4. staple, nail
- usage: a short U-shaped wire nail for securing cables
- 5. staple, paper fastener
- usage: paper fastener consisting of a short length of U-shaped wire that can fasten papers together
- 1. staple, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: secure or fasten with a staple or staples; "staple the papers together"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. staple, essential (vs. inessential)
- usage: necessary or important, especially regarding food or commodities; "wheat is a staple crop"
All rights reserved.
See also: staple (Dictionary)